Palmer Canyon Deeds Collection
Scope and Content of Collection
- 1922 - 1934
Language of Materials
Biography / Administrative History
In addition to his land holdings and civic duties in Pomona, Palmer also had several personal interests in the surrounding area. Henry Palmer and his family lived in a house known as “El Alisal,” former site of the Alvarado Family Ranch and the current site of Claremont ‘s Memorial Park. Palmer also held personal investments in land in the foothill areas including Piedmont Mesa (near the Webb Schools today and where Pomona College was to originally move from Pomona), the current Padua Hills area (where he planted olive trees), and Palmer Canyon (named for his daughter, Elizabeth Day Palmer).
Palmer Canyon has always been a coveted place, first for the local Native American tribes who lived off the bountiful wild game in the vicinity and utilized the constant water supply from Palmer Canyon Creek. As a literary connection, Palmer Canyon is thought to serve as the basis of the location in Helen Hunt Jackson’s Ramona (1884), where the protagonists, Ramona and Alessandro elope to “amidst chaparral and under the gnarled oaks and giant sycamores.” Palmer Canyon attracted many early pioneers for its water supply and saw settlers building living quarters in the canyon. As facilities for digging well were obtained to supply water to the valley below, many of the early settlers moved back down from the hills, however a few remained in Palmer Canyon. John Hughes first filed water rights on the creek, followed by Henry Palmar, the Priester Family, and Mrs. Mary Stoner.
By the 1920s, Palmer Canyon became a popular weekend destination for the growing population of Claremonters. The canyon was a favorite spot for botanists, where 94 different kinds of wild flowers were gathered in one afternoon by a botanizing party and was popular hiking destination for its views of the valley below. In 1921, real estate developer Frank Wheeler helped close a deal that opened Palmer Canyon up to great improvement. Property owner, Elizabeth D. Palmer, sold her 360 acres of land to C.S. Phillips, a Los Angeles capitalist, who in turn subdivided and sold lots in the canyon to investors and property developers. By the 1950s, Palmer Canyon became a unique residential neighborhood in contrast to the popular tract home models of the time. A single paved road ran through the center of the neighborhood that was about a mile in length with the houses sitting on unincorporated land in Los Angeles County.
In 2003, the Grand Prix fire passed through Palmer Canyon destroying a vast majority of the homes. The destruction was devastating leaving only 4 of the 47 homes that once lined the canyon. The Palmer Canyon Homeowners Association attempted to regain the building rights for its former residents yet could not do so unless infrastructure like flood control, modern streets, and septic updates were included. As the cost was too great for the Palmer Canyon Association to meet for rebuild, it was decided to sell the land.
1.04 linear feet (3 boxes) Linear Feet (Containing administrative material, real estate agreements, deed, receipts, correspondence, housing documentation, tract maps, housing covenants, and ledgers. )
Real estate development
Western Americana –1900 - 1999
- Inventory to a Special Collection at Claremont Heritage Palmer Canyon Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script