Scope and Contents of the Collection
The Ken Smith Nu Alpha Phi collection contains materials related to the Pomona College Greek-letter organization with a focus on its history, members, and events. Among the collection contents are histories of Nu Alpha Phi, biographical files of Nu Alpha Phi members from 1932 to 2009, and issues of the Oak Leaf newsletter from 1930 to 2003. The collection includes numerous planning papers focusing on Nu Alpha Phi-sponsored and Pomona College events such as Camperoo, Rush Week, and Alumni Day, as well as organizational documents like meeting minutes, articles of incorporation, and scholarship materials. A substantial portion of the collection also includes memorabilia and photographs related to Nu Alpha Phi, including scrapbooks, banners, fraternity paddles, and photographs of its members, the Nu Alpha Phi Cabin, and other events.
Language of Materials
Languages represented in collection: English
Collection open for research.
All requests for permission to reproduce or to publish must be submitted in writing to the Archives.
Biography / Administrative History
Nu Alpha Phi was founded in 1921, becoming Pomona College’s fourth fraternity, following Kappa Delta (1901), Sigma Tau (1912), and Phi Delta (1915). Organized by a small group of students, the idea of a fourth fraternity was met with approval by President James Blaisdell and faculty members George Sumner and Dr. Frank Brackett assisted in advisory capacities in the fraternity’s founding process. Nu Alpha Phi’s first official group meeting took place in Smiley Hall on March 21, 1921 and included ten members–two faculty and eight undergraduates. A second meeting was held the next day on March 22, 1921 to elect officers, appoint a committee to draft a constitution and by-laws, and to design a pin insignia. The initials Nu Alpha Phi were adopted as symbols relating to a Greek motto of friendship. The construction of a fraternity cabin in the Camp Baldy region was next explored, following the tradition of the other three Pomona College fraternities who had cabins in the area. While a suitable location was not found at Camp Baldy, Nu Alpha Phi members were able to acquire property in nearby San Dimas Canyon and cabin construction was completed in spring of 1922. Nu Alpha Phi’s first female members were initiated in 1977, marking a transition to becoming a co-ed organization. In the early 2000s, Nu Alpha Phi opened its membership beyond Pomona College to any student within the Claremont Colleges Consortium. Nu Alpha Phi was disbanded in 2016.
8.3 Linear Feet (4 document boxes, 3 record cartons, 3 flat storage boxes, 2 oversized flat storage boxes, 1 rectangular lidded box)